Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Enlightenment and other things

Firstly, thanks Julie for the lovely comments. I understand completely what you are saying; I just feel like a pretender sometimes. I've walked right out of this materialistic, me me me world that I have been bought up in, and into this, what feels like, a whole other realm. But, thank you, it means a lot to me.

I am slowly but surely changing my thought processes about things which is good. What is also good is that, living simply, saves money. Money that can be spent on life experiences. Such as travelling around Australia, going overseas with the kids - all sorts of things. But not *things* per se - experiences.

It's funny how, all of a sudden, the focus just shifts. It's not about things; it's about life. Sucking what you can out of it and putting back into the earth as much as you can. I feel much better as a person, and I feel less guilty about the way our society as a whole, is headed. I mean, I realise there is so much more that I can do, don't get me wrong. But, if I focus too hard on all the other things I should be doing, I'm scared I'll lose focus on the things I am doing.

Our pay TV went today. Not because we couldn't afford it, but, because, on principle, it is not something we need, nor is it something that enriches our life. I'd much prefer afternoons like this one - where G, Mr 'Tude and the terror were playing ball together whilst I attempted to rescue my Camellia. I will have to post a photo of it somewhere, but it certainly does appear to be dying a slow death. But that's a whole other topic.

This afternoon cost us nothing. We spent time together as a family and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Definately beats veging out in front of the TV.

That is what my focus is about. Enriching our life without harming (or, at the very least, as little as we can) the environment. I'm not perfect, nor will I ever be - but surely every little bit does help. And it's awesome to see my nearly 5 year old wanting to help me in the vegie patch and helping me bucket bathwater out onto the garden. It means far more to me than any monetary gain.

On a daily note, I did the grocery shopping WAY under my goal this week. Again, thinking simply saved money. I'm almost positive that it will work in all my day to day areas; because I'm thinking about lights on, water, gas, telephone...all the things that do cost money and do cost the environment.

I just feel so proud. Dumb I know, but I'm making a difference and, given where I've come from, I'm very proud.

1 comment:

Minni Mum said...

There's nothing "dumb" about choosing to live more simply and sustainably Shel! I often think that the decision to live this way is harder than the actual process, so you have a perfect right to be proud, well done :-)

Cheers, Julie.