Saturday, September 22, 2007

Short and sweet this morning...

This is only a short and sweet entry.

Today; it begins.

After reading so many blogs around here of late, and realising just how much MORE I could do - I actually started feeling useless. As in "what the hell am I going to be able to do to make a difference?". Realistically, I realise that it has to start somewhere; but it is/was kind of hard to wrap my head around the fact that, I felt so *proud* of what I had already achieved.

Reading some of these wonderful ladies - in comparison, I've barely gotten out of bed!

This attitude stops here.

It doesn't matter if I'm not organised enough yet to have a stockpile of stuff. It doesn't matter if I don't have the ability to grow every thing I eat. It doesn't matter that, for all intents and purposes, we simply cannot live without any electricity. It doesn't matter that there are still products with ridiculous packaging on them still sitting in my cupboard.

What matters is that I have STARTED. I have STARTED the change. We no longer use plastic bags anymore; and I am now consious of using electricity. Many power points are now off at the power point - a far cry from even a month ago.

We have buckets in every shower and I am known in my circle as *the water nazi*. I am TRYING. Which, when you look at it, is a big thing. The focus has shifted, and the practical parts of that focus has begun. Really, it's a big step.

The point - there is ALWAYS more to do. I am never going to *acheive* *sustainability* overnight - or even in a week. This is like losing weight. It is a LIFESTYLE choice. And, even then, there will be hundreds of ideas out here in blog land that I have never even considered. That doesn't make me stupid; it gives me an opportunity to LEARN.

I've made my choice and I know where I'd rather be - It's time to stop wallowing in all I *should* be doing and get out there and start *doing* it.

No kids this weekend - my *personal* goal is to create an area for my stockpile. Just an area. I have all the time in the world, and all the tools I require.

Will report back. But thank you, all of you - ultimately, your blogs are just SO amazingly inspiring; but sometimes, for a newbie, they can be rather overwhelming.

2 comments:

Minni Mum said...

Shel, I can TOTALLY relate to you. I felt exactly the same way when I started out and joined Aussies Living Simply - so many people so far ahead of where I was it seemed so overwhelming and a bit depressing to be honest. But hey, we all have to start somewhere, and when you keep chipping away at it, suddenly you find you have halved your footprint/ water bill/ energy use etc, and you think "wow!".

Just getting started is the biggest step, so well done!

Cheers, Julie.

Unknown said...

It's more of a mind set rather than a goal in itself.

None of us can cure the planet, but we can take little measures in helping.

And there are lots of different ways of making this journey, none of which are right for everyone, all are however right for that particular person, at that time in their lives.