Monday, October 29, 2007

Organisation truly is the key.

I think I've taken to this simple living bizzo so well for a number of reasons. Firstly. I am not out to prove anything to anyone. I have no big agenda, no big chip on my shoulder etc - I *personally* feel that this decision; this concious decision to help our environment, is just the right one for me. My husband thinks I've turned into a hippy, but he's happy to accomodate me. My parents and my sister think I'm mad.

Anyway. Organisation is a HUGE part of this simple living. More than I ever realised.

Generally, on a normal day, this is my pantry;



Now. You probably won't believe me, but it is the case. Every night, before I go to bed, my house gets put back together. Why? Because everything has a place, and for life to be organised, everything has to be in that place.

I probably have a big problem with being organised. I get all titchy if I'm not aware of what is going on. Control freak much??

But, since starting this simple quest - being organised is just THE biggest factor. You can see everything in your pantry at first glance, you can see what you need, and what you have an abundance of.

A good example of this, is my linen cupboard. This morning, I opened the door to put a tea towel in there - I honestly could barely fit it. See, I had done a big "shove in there and we'll deal with that later" with the linen cupboard. Until I got to the point of not fitting anything else in. So, in 15 minutes (honestly, that was ALL it took); I ended up with this;




Scary huh? I got rid of NOTHING. Not one pillowcase. Nada. Just simple, easy organisation.

I cannot possibly see how anyone could remotely live a simple life if there is stuff everywhere. First step. Clean it out. Keep only things that make you smile, or bring back a memory you cherish. Whether that be a photo of your grandmother, or a statue you won in the spelling competition when you were 5. Work it out. Do you love it? Could someone else love it more??

Then, STICK TO THAT DECISION. Once every couple of months, every cupboard in the house gets a going over. I like to touch everything; just so I know what I have. However, I don't have a cupboard full of bits and bods. Everything in my cupboards (ok, ok, linen cupboard is excluded!! ;) ) is there for a purpose. I don't have 18 different sets of sheets. Why? I wash a set and put them back on the bed. If, on a bad day, i get caught and it rains - I simple use the one spare set that I have. I do have another set for the spare bed - so overall, I have 3 sheet sets. But why would I need more?

The kids have 2 spare sheet sets - so 3 each. Obviously I use them, with toilet training and vomit and foulness of two year old toddlers who love chasing earwigs, but do NOT like washing hands or face.

Get my point? Only have what you need and use what you need. Find a permanent home for all these things - and that is the hard bit!! Once you've found a home - it's just a matter of putting it back there every day.

Of a night, I ususally wonder around the house putting things back where they belong. My headphones are on, the house is quiet and I can just wander about in my own little world. It is one of my favorite times of day. Then, every morning; whether I be working, or staying home with the kids, or going to Queensland - the house always starts my day off looking like this;





And I always make my coffee with a self appreciating smile.

3 comments:

Karen Jensen said...

Okay. You are my hero. I want my kitchen to look like that in the morning!

C said...

Hello! Just found your blog and I really enjoyed reading through the archives. You're very inspiring, especially with regards to grocery shopping. :)

Shel said...

Professor J - LOL!! It is seriously not that hard. Once you first get it to that point; all it is is maintaining it. It's the "getting to" point that is the hard bit!!

Fitcat - thank you!! :) I don't know what else to say really; but the last thing I'd call myself is inspiring! But, I am enjoying this blog, and if people are happy to read - I'm more than happy to write!! :) :)