Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Reaping the rewards....

I'm sorry that it has taken me awhile to get back here; seriously, a week goes so FAST these days!! With sick kids and work and household stuff, it's Friday before I even blink!

This post is one about my achievements. I never did post a starting point; but suffice to say, it's never going up here now I have my results.

I have HALVED my phone bill. Well, by rights, I'm now getting billed for 1/3 of my previous bills - but hey, I'll go with half.

I have halved our gas bill. Again; by not doing a heck of a lot at all. A few small changes makes a HUGE difference.

Our shopping bill is substantially smaller. Still mastering that one, with my stockpiling etc - but overall, I have to give myself a B+ at least.

My vegies are doing great. We have that much baby spinach we don't know what to do with it all (but trust me, I'm using it!!) and I have made so much from scratch that our freezer is just about bursting. All from stuff we already had.

This whole simplifying thing really does show you just how little you need to live a thorough, healthy and fulfilling life. It has actually seriously astounded me. I never thought this was possible - let alone so empowering all at the same time.

Until I was married, I had never had a "home brand" product of anything. My parents still do have that "ick" factor - and I'm almost sure I can see their noses turning up at the fact we went to the local farmers market on the weekend. But, the irony is completely lost on them - we are probably eating FAR better than they ever have.

I just feel great. Spring is here, the kids are good and life is not far off perfect. We undertook the "lights out for a day" thing on Saturday - we actually did really well. Helps that I love candles and that we both love to play scrabble - a couple of red wines, the darlings in bed, a heap of candles and a game of scrabble - we both had a wonderful time. Although, it made us miss our camping.

A delightful blog I read regularly has put a bit of a taint on this, so far, delectable, can't get enough of blog world. It was rather sad to see Julie so upset - she is SUCH a positive influence for me, and I'm 100% sure, all that read her blog. To have someone put her down like that is just ridiculous.

Fact is, her, and others like her are trying. A far cry from so many others who deem our world to be "someone elses problem". I don't care if all you can manage is changing your toilet paper - get aware and do something. Rather than stand back and worry about what others are doing - look into your own backyard and see where you can improve. Because, I'd bet my life that there is something that can be improved upon.

I will finish this post with a couple of pictures of my garden. Let me preface these by saying that I am certainly no photographer - but I am just so proud that *I* grew all of these all by myself. 5 years ago - I'd have cacked myself laughing if someone had told me that I'd be finding so much pleasure in my garden. Or baking from scratch. Or simplifying my life. I never realised just how much satisfaction could be gained by having/using so little. I feel like *I* am in control of our destiny. And it feels great!!

My petunias - suprisingly this is their 3rd year. How I have done it (now realising that it is not a normal thing) is completely beyond me. You watch though, now that I am seriously *caring* for them - they'll die.


Sorry; no more pictures; I can't get them to load. I will try again soon.

No comments: