Thursday, November 1, 2007

Daylight savings

I love daylight savings. Truly. I love the time that is all MINE after the kids have gone to bed and we still have light. That is my pottering about the garden time, and the longer the days, the more time I'm guaranteed.

However. You know, when daylight savings comes around and you have to forward your clock one hour? I find that, at some point, I really start missing a particular hour of the day. When I was working, it was around about 4pm (new time). I felt like it was only 3pm and I had so much more to do!!

These days; it's now. Just before daylight savings starts, dawn is a magical time that seems to last forever. The first lights of the day used to come on early; and I felt a whole day would pass just in that small time.

Now; I feel rushed. Like I'm missing that time. I know, as days go by and get longer, that my nights will become longer - but I feel saddened that these early mornings are gone for another year.

Not a big issue in the scheme of things; but I often wonder where people feel they lose that *hour*. Is it sleep? Is it that ratty time of day that you're already rushed? Or, is it the early morning, like me?

3 comments:

Jayne said...

I feel like I've lost an hour in the mornings - and then suddenly the afternoon's whipped past and it's early evening,leaving me muttering " I'm certain it was only 10am 5 mins ago".

C said...

We don't have daylight savings here so I can't answer that...but I did have an early start this morning (3:30) and it was beautiful watching the world wake up so to speak - I can see why you enjoy your early mornings so much. :)

Jenn said...

No DS here but I'm so envious that you have it. I wake at 4:30am every mornign atm and I would love to have that time in the afternoons to savour instead of lying in bed desperately wishing myself back to sleep!