Monday, November 5, 2007

Harvest...

Here are some photos of my 3rd harvest of spinach and first harvest (ok, nearly the first, any previous strawberries didn't make it to the house..) of strawberries for the year;






My snow peas are growing wonderfully; it won't be long before I start having an influx of beans. Tomatoes are nearly ready for picking on one vine; the other is still at flowering. But I think we're going to have a bumper crop this year!

Dinner tonight was a winner; I have to say I was very impressed. Awhile ago, I'd bought some sausage mince on a ridiculous special and froze it. I made some sausage rolls with some of it, and this lot I was meant to make some meatloaf.

Didn't work out; I decided to chuck some stuff together to come up with my *sausage pie/casserole*. Kids LOVE it; and I have to say, it's pretty darn nice myself.

500g sausage mince (I used 1kg, but made two pies)
6 potatos (for one pie)
cup peas
cup carrots
cup broccolini
cup onion
cup whatever else you feel like
Gravy (2 tsp powder)
Tomato sauce (2 tblespoons)
Tobasco sauce (1 teaspoon)
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp margarine
Salt / pepper

Cut up sausage mince into thick slices whilst still in packet. Unwrap packet and cook slices in frypan until cooked. Remove and chop into smaller bite size pieces.
Cook onion in frypan.
Cook potatoes until done; add milk, margarine and salt and pepper. Mash until creamy.
Cook vegetables and once cooked, fold gently through mashed potato.

In casserole dish, put sausages, gravox and tomato sauce. Add sprinkle of water to help mix the gravy powder. On top of sausage, put mashed potato and vegetable mix. Sprinkle with cheese and cook in 200 degree oven for 1/2 hour.



It is, in my humble opinion, the PERFECT winter meal. Somethin we will be seeing a great deal more of in the winter. The kids loved it and it was nice for a change. AND the entire meal maybe cost me $5. The kg sausage mince was 2.00, so $1 for the meat per casserole/pie, 6 potatos per pie, and the carrot and vegies. So, at a guess, I'd say I fed our entire family for $5.

Simple living eat your heart out!! :)

No comments: