Sunday, June 14, 2009

Reasons why.....

It's not so much about the safety of wildlife for me; although it is certainly up there. It is the thought that, someone, somewhere, will find my poor cat on a road, runover by a car. Paralyzed from the neck down freezing. The fact that I would have to rely on someone else to reassure him, cry for him and be kind to him and take him to the vet at 6am, being prepared to pay whatever bill was required.

The fact that someone else would be notified that there is nothing the vet could do; he would have to be euthanased. And that my cat would be all alone. I would never forgive myself.

They are why I keep my cat locked inside. With an enclosure attached.

To the person whose cat it was I found on the road outside our house yesterday morning; it's ok. I looked after your cat, took him to the vet and reassured him that he was going to be ok. It was I that cried when the vet called and I who mourned his loss. I don't even think you'd know yet - your cat wasn't microchipped. Hopefully the council will notify you tomorrow.

Just so you know - he wasn't alone. And someone has spent 2 days crying over such a stupid loss.

If you do decide to get another animal - please keep him inside at night. Not for the wildlife - but for his own safety. PLEASE.

2 comments:

Jayne said...

I agree :( I have to admit that my older cat-15 years- is an outdoor cat but I always get him in at night. However my younger cat is an indoor cat. She escaped a few times mind you, when the older one went out. And was hit by a car and had her leg broken. The first operation cost me $800. It hasn't taken her leg re-broke due to her jumping with the pink in-so she has to have another. Which is costing me another $400. The poor cat as been in a tiny cage for a total of 10 weeks. Thank goodness she has no desire to go outside any more! But it's been a very expensive illustration of why indoors is better. OTOH, it can be VERY hard to keep a cat hell bent on escape inside!!

Jenn said...

I'm glad you are who you are Shel :(