Friday, January 23, 2009

The C word

I have had a C word of a day. No, seriously. A capital letter C word of a day.

Let me recap.

G has been out all night last night doing some changeover refrigeration type stuff. He gets home and asks me to quickly copy a file for him into his refrigeration (aka I have NFI what this program even DOES) program. I oblige.

Except, I copied it to the wrong place. And, I had no idea where I'd copied it to. And completely crashed said magical refrigeration program.

I felt sick. You know that pit in your gut; the 'I'm never going to eat again this ball of guilt is so big' type pit? That. Times about 12.

So, I took said computer into work and spent the day trying to fix it. Four hours later (I never said I was a computer technician) I restored it. Whacky doo me. G is happy, but BUGGERED (he'd not slept because he was worried about it).

The other day our air conditioner died. Upped and died. Of course, the following few days were high 30's, and of course we were meant to have 13 people over for R's birthday, and of course one of the four darling adult friends was 38 weeks pregnant and of course the ambient temperature that morning in the house was 28. But, it was a motor, thank dog. G pulled it out and got it rewound.

It was ready today. So, being the lovely husband he is, picked it up and put it in. Because, tomorrow, the boys are all off camping/farming for the weekend and leaving me at home. For three days. ALONE.

So, I get home from work, grab G and head to mums. Mum has this big 'oh we simply must have a birthday dinner for every man and his dog' and of course, it was Rileys big night. It was a lovely night and we got in the car and sang 'going on a bear hunt' the whole way home.

Get home and start organising the kids to leave first thing in the morning.

Notice a BIGGGG water patch in the roof. Look a little further; a biiiiggg bubble of water underneath the paint. G had knocked some float switch when he replaced the motor - water everywhere in the roof. How the roof didn't cave in is beyond me; actually, no, it's not - the water was in all the ducts.

6 BUCKETS later. And a float switch back in place.

Air conditioning water is THE most dirty, grimy filthy water on the planet. And, whilst my garden will tolerate it; my white laundry won't.

So, instead of doing all those little jobs you never get around to whilst kids are underfoot - I shall be cleaning up stinky, dirty, grimy, filthy water up properly in the laundry.

Oh. And my neighbours coming to do her washing tomorrow; her laundry is being gutted.

All's well that ends well I suppose; but I have NO fingernails left, and I'm sure my blood pressure has been going nuts all day.

3 comments:

Jodie said...

Surely that's all your bad luck for 2009 used up right there?
Made me feel tired just reading it, Shel!

LBA said...

ugh !!

isn't it always the way ?

Sounds like you coped remarkably !

Being Me said...

Oh no! I hope your a/c has been behaving with this week's heat wave.