Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Riley

I wrote this about my son this morning; and feel it is an appropriate blog post too!!

I am just SO proud of this kid. This time last year, his whole life was 'I can't'. He had very few friends and would barely say three words because of his lack of confidence. He wasn't as good at *kinder stuff* (pasting, cutting, painting etc) or even as interested.

He was a tentative kid; the kid who you'd give your heart to because he just looked so vulnerable and nervous. His concentration was scary to watch, and to see him NOT do something time and time and time again broke my heart; because he COULD do it - he just didn't BELIEVE he could.

This year; I could just cry.

He's 'I can do anything'. He's Mr popularity who has received both a Student of the week award for the SCHOOL and *VIP award* for his class. He's reading at grade 2 level. He has just completed level 3 of mathletics. He's adoring before and after school care and is absoutely stoked because he got a slice of banana cake in his lunchbox. (kinder was a fruit only policy). His best friend is 'the brown skin friend Charig' and plays with just about everyone.

His kindness toward others is beautiful to watch and he doesn't get involved in any of the 'school' politics in the playground. I'm just...I don't even know. Relief doesn't cut it. For the last 3 years, I have been worried stupid about him. His hearing, his speech, his development - then he turns around and is just turning out oh so well.

Truth be known, I've even given myself a *little* pat on the back for my efforts so far; because, if this is partly my creation - I have done well. I'm just so stoked for him. And so darn proud, I think my heart will burst.

And I thank his little brother. I'm sure some of his 'I don't give a shit WHAT people think' attitude has rubbed off on him. And, he doesn't even know it, but Connor has given Riley SO much that I thank christ I have him too. He is the BEST brother for Riley. (Drives ME nuts, but that's entirely another issue!!!).

God I love them both.

3 comments:

Jodes said...

Congratulations! You deserve a big pat on the back. I know how you're feeling though as I am going through similar with my Middle Man, not necessarily the academic stuff, but personality and emotion wise, he seems to have finally caught up with is peers.

A big HOORAY to Riley.

Jodie said...

Wow Shel, that really is great, what a turnaround. It's such a great feeling to see our children thrive and gain confidence in themselves!

And yes, of course you deserve a pat on the back for helping him along in his journey :)

Jenn said...

That's so lovely Shel - I'm proud with you!