Friday, October 19, 2007

Early morning

How can people stay in bed and miss this delightful part of the day? That time, at the minute, between 4 & 5am.

I generally get up very early. Because of that, I am generally in bed rather early; which kind of makes me a bit of a loner. I don't tend to stay up all night - because I love this time of day so much. It's the time of day where I feel like I have the entire world to myself, then slowly, as daylight breaks, the time is shared with the birds.

It is the terrors second birthday soon. I have no idea what to get him. I don't really want to get him anything, because there is very little that child needs. He is getting his first bike for Christmas, and that, in all seriousness, is pretty much all he needs.

So, I'm thinking of getting him something little (as in REALLY little) and then putting money into his bank account. Other people do it for him - which I think is a GREAT idea. But, is it a great idea for a mother to do for her son? Is it a "I am just giving you money because it's easier" or "I am giving you money because I feel you need nothing and think that $50 into a bank account for you would be MUCH more beneficial than a stupid toy that will break in 5 minutes and you won't remember in 5 years".

For me, it's the latter. But, I'm positive my family will think that it's the former. Because, you see, their depth of love depends on stuff. A kid who has everything he could possibly want simply must be loved more than a child who has enough.

Really, with ideas like that, is there any wonder we're in the state we are? As a society?? Is there any wonder kids, who are given the world at an age that they can't grasp it fully, are off doing whatever - just so they can get some attention. So much could be solved and sorted, with just a little attention.

If the politicians actually paid attention to what those they are governing are saying, then a big sight of, even Australias, problems might be solved. But, instead, they spend six weeks saying they are going to change the world; and then the next 3 years backpeddling as to "why that hasn't happened yet".

If I were a politician, the only thing I would place my life on, is that I'd be honest. If we couldn't do it, then we couldn't do it. And I would simplify Australia. Simplify the whole ruddy lot - and I'd be my life that a big chunk of the country's problems would fade away.

We have to vote relatively soon. I'm actually pretty excited, if even a little scared. Whoever gets into government this time around, determines this country as a whole. Water, environment, climate change - this is the time to do something. In 3 years, it will be too late. The direction this country will take as a whole will be determined in the next 3 years.

I just hope that all concerned do the right thing. Wishful thinking?? I think so.

No comments: