Tuesday, June 10, 2008

As it should be.

We had a lovely long weekend here (actually, it's still kinda going!!). It was simple, but nice. I love simple but nice - no pressure, but so much fun.

Friday night I went out with some girlfriends to a margarita bar. They have cocktail Slushies and we had a lovely time. Lots of laughter, and lots of pretty coloured drinks!!

After dinner and drinks, we went up to a local pool hall that was around when I was a kid. Talk about changed!!! These days you have to scan your licence in and there are bouncers everywhere. We got there relatively early (hellooo, mothers of children vs 19 year olds..) and got a good table.

It was exceptional for people watching. And sitting there, sucking at pool, the people watching was incredible.

I remember going there as a teenager. Walking in, past all those tables (with all those people) and being incredibly aware that everyone was looking at me. They probably weren't, but such was my confidence back then.

Watching other 18-19 year olds in the same predicament was bizarre. I could see straight through them. See their vulnerability.

It really cemented something for me. If I could go back? I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it. Sometimes, in all the memory lane travel, some of the bad bits get missed along the way. That was one feeling that I will never go back for.

So, it was fun. 3 Tipsy mums, sucking at pool and not caring what other people thought.

An interesting point of the evening; one of the girls told the other two that her and her husband had a special friend they invited over every so often. I near on fell over; not at the act itself, but at the security of the act so to speak. I don't know if I'd be able to undertake something like that, and not feel differently afterwards. Maybe I complicate things too much, I don't know, but to me, that kind of situation leaves one WAY open.

Anyway. Saturday was a icky day for me; bludging around and doing a whole lot of not much. I looked after a set of twins for the morning (punishment), and then a nanna nap in the afternoon saw me up and at them.

My best friend came back from Perth for the weekend and, after numerous discussions about what happened prior to her leaving, we caught up. It was nice. The kids had a ball with 'Granny Linda' and G relaxed with her brother. It was as it should be in our world.

She left so suddenly that I am positive something is going on with her; but I don't think she wants to tell anyone just yet. But, she knows that I am here if she needs me, and that I have promised (as has she) to make more of an effort.

G took the boys to Sandown on Sunday, the V8 Supercars were driving around aimlessly, so he thought he'd take them to have a squizz. I was all set to go, but Poppy wanted to go, as did Uncle M; so it was a boys day out. Instead, I cleaned the house, had Yum Cha with my sister and mother, and then trotted off to work to get in front for a couple of hours.

Home to a roast, and a DVD watching night.

I hate banging on about 'what we did' - it's so maudlin and repetitive. However, it's these sorts of weekends that, for me, change things. The mindset that comes with these special times is incredible; so much clarity and certainty, all at the same time.

I heart clarity. It is something that has been lacking for a long while.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I write these out every now and again and am bored half way through but feel like I have to keep writing them. You're completely right though, they are the important weekends/days/months.