Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Country life...

I've always loved the idea of a small farm. A few chickens, a few ducks...a goat maybe and definately a horse or two.

Massive vegie patches and decades old fruit trees. Space for all our friends to come and stay; but small enough that it's cozy.

That 'ideal life' cog is starting to turn.

My whole life has been based around work. Not 'work' per se - but being close to it, being part of it. But, more and more I don't feel I belong there anymore. I'm not needed anymore. Which, is not in itself a bad thing; but I don't feel as.....tied to the place anymore.

G has always wanted to go home. He is a definate country boy; he'd go back there in a heartbeat. And, as he said; you'd have a hard time bringing him back if he ever did move.

But, there are so many positives. House prices for one. Sustainable living for two. I won't have to work for 3. The kids would grow up in the country for 4.

People have mentioned the lonliness. And, I probably will get lonely from time to time. But, I've never been social butterfly material; a few close friends is all I need. And, they will remain close friends.

G wants to go back home. Which is pretty far away (2.5hours); but closer to his parents. Which means, we'd still have support - and we have a few friends up that way. So, not completely isolated.

I have more and more moments of 'I'm 30 years old and I've barely lived. It's time to live'.

Petrol would be a problem; but with the relaxing of the finances due to a smaller mortgage and the lack of daycare - I can't see it being such a big issue. We have savings tucked away; not a trillion dollars, but enough to easily get us started. And I can always work (not that I want to!!!).

The boys grandfather would drive them to school each day on the school bus. The animals would adore it and I would have the horse I've wanted for so very long. My days (if I'm not working) would be productive for the most part and I am so sure I would feel...... home.

My family (my father in particular) will take this hard. No doubt. But, do I live my life for the sake of my extended family? Or, do I take the jump, into the unknown (to me!!) to do something that I really feel would benefit us as an immediate family? There's no question is there?

One year. At the most. We're out.

5 comments:

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

Good for you, Shel! I think it sounds perfect. Am a little jealous.

Jodie said...

That's seriously exciting! I'd love to do it too...
Good on you for making the decision!

Leanne said...

I think it's fantastic Shel. I admire your courage and can-do attitude. Go for it!

Anonymous said...

Wow Shel - good on you. From someone that has taken the plunge, you will not regret it.

Jenn said...

Yay Shel. You will love it. Plus when you need your fix of city life you can jump on a plane and come visit me =p