Saturday, September 20, 2008

Michelle

Isn't it weird.

About 6 months ago, my best friend of a hundred years called me and told me that, in three weeks, she was packing up and moving across the country.

No job, no house. Just a 'life change'.

Not weird for most people, sure; but Michelle??? The very girl who would colour her VCE subjects by colour? The girl who alphabetically organised her books? Move across country just like that??

I knew something was going on - but she didn't want to talk about it. Which was fine by me; but I did tell her that, regardless of what she said, I knew there was something else; and if she needed me, that I would always be there.

I did have my suspicions as to why she left; but I never voiced them.

Was I right? Oh hell yes. Smack bang on the money. Well, close enough to be smack bang on the money.

I called her last night.

"I think we need to have a chat, don't you??"
"What about?"
"Don't play dumb with me. Are you OK??"
**Silence**.
"How do you know??"
"Gossip - I have many connections in this world darling; even to the mafia!! ;) Are you ok??"
"You don't hate me?? Especially after what's happened with you??"
"Nup - I'd already guessed"
**Cries**
"I'll call you next week when it's a.....better time"
"Does he know?"
"Yes".
"And you're OK??"
"Yes"
"Good. I love you and if you need me, you know where I am".

In other news, my kids have gone to the farm for a week in the holidays. You'd think they hated living here for all the enthusiasm they showed.

They'll miss me.

Won't they????

No comments: