Thursday, February 5, 2009

Death of the garden

Just some photos of my sunburnt garden. I'll start clipping all the dead stuff off on Sunday (when it's cooler), depending on what weather is coming in the next week or so.

Sunburnt strawberries...
My tomatos that were just starting to turn red
Scorch marks on this plant (I wish I could remember the name!!)
Withered Bells
My Japanese maple took a hiding - at least it's alive!

I'm pretty disapppointed, but that's life I guess. I could've been one of the extremely unlucky ones who lost houses, pets and livelihood in the bushfires; mine is only sunburn. I guess I am 'lucky' that most of it is established and didn't completely keel over and die.

It's not very nice to see even this much of your hard word decimated in 2 days. I can't fathom it, given everything was watered every day; particularly the vegie patch.


Goes to show just how harsh the sun can be though!!

Rileys back at school today for the entire day. Poor kid can't wait! I want to know just when it is that they go from loving school with a passion; to not wanting to ever see the place again. I remember liking it and then not liking it; I just can't remember when I started not liking it.

Kevin Rudd set forth a second stimulus package for Australia on Monday. Pretty scary stuff, the PM chucking money about. I must say though, I feel much more comfortable with this package than the last one; it doesn't seem so much 'bucketing money from the balcony' this time. Each and every school will get something; as will a great number of workers.

Lets hope it works huh? I don't think it will turn the country around; but it just might put us in a better position to weather the storm that is on it's way.


I just thank dog I'm not in a great deal of debt. And we have extremely managable amounts of debt. Because, if I were in much more debt; I'd be starting to find it really difficult to sleep at night.


Things I am doing today;
*making Quiche for our dinner
*making Quiche for my darling friend who has just had a baby boy (and going for a cuddle!!)
*making dog food
*making sausage rolles for me and said friend
*getting out into the garden to start the big cleanup (Saturday is meant to be 43 with a cool change, so today and Sunday might be garden days)
*make a start on pulling out the old vegies and getting the soil out of the raised beds (so we can re-arrange that area.

3 comments:

N8chaluva said...

Hi Shel
You wrote: I just thank dog I'm not in a great deal of debt.
Hehaw, thank dog!!!! Just a typo rather than dog worship?

Dead gardens are all the rage. I'm going flat out saving fruit trees, carting water by hand... yeh we're lucky I guess.

regards, terry

Shel said...

Hi Terry,

No, no typo; I say 'thank dog' instead of 'thank god'!!

Even water carting hasn't helped this; we've been carting water for about 18 months! Just the heat I'm afraid!

Jodie said...

Crikey Shel, that's some serious murder the sun committed! How sad, I totally get where you are coming from when you try so hard with something. I'm surprised our vegie patch survived those 45 deg days too, with minimal casualties, they must get more shade than I realised.
Oh and glad Riley had such a great time at school :)