Sunday, February 1, 2009

So much for sustainability...

My entire vegie patch has been murdered in this heat. After all the water, all the care, all the shadecloth....gone. My *nearly* ripened tomatoes are now a shade of light brown; not unlike the vines they hang off. My capsicums are just brown bits of weed, hanging sadly where there was once small green capsicums. My snowpeas? Gone. I even think my wormies have all died too. I checked tonight and couldn't find any!!!

How? Why? Well.

45 degrees is no fun for anyone. I even took my dog to work with me last week, it was so hot. I should've bought my vegies too I think. But still, I watered, and shaded and was very careful...

I think it was the shed. My patch backs onto our shed, and I imagine that the heat radiating from that over the last week was enough to send them all to heaven.

Although; it's not all bad news. We were going to wait for the summer vegies to grow and finish before we pulled out the patch and redid it so we could fit a water tank in there.

At least it's going to be sooner now, rather than later. :(

2 comments:

Mary said...

Sucks when that happens. We have two huge citrus trees down the back which offer some shade. I'm thinking of putting a no dig vegie patch down there.

RIP sizzled veg.

Jodes said...

Oh no, I feel your pain. I am pretty diligent with our meagre vegie patch, but the one night I leave the cover off, the bloody possums eat EVERYTHING!

I hope it starts to cool down for you soon.