Monday, March 17, 2008

How positively RUDE of me!!!! & Oatmeal biscuits

I have had this blog for a little while now, and this morning on my walk, I realised that those that read my diary really don't know much about me at all.

Obviously, I am 30. Just turned, if you've just tuned in. I live in a green wedge part of Melbourne and I am very daydreamy. I love listening to my Ipod whilst pottering away on a nice still evening after the kids have gone to bed. Sometimes with a Baileys, sometimes without; but always my music.

I have been with G for 10 years now and married for 7. We have two kids Riley and Connor who are 5 and two respectively. I work 3 days a week for the family business and whilst I am there, Connor goes to daycare and Riley either goes to kinder or my mothers house. It is a really fantastic spot to be in workwise, working for my father, because it is truly flexible. I am horribly lucky to have this job - but in saying that, I worked awfully hard for it.

We have a dog, Harvey, who is a golden cocker spaniel, and whom I adore. We did have his brother, Arnold, who was put down just over a year ago. Roger, our adopted cat and Bill, our galah, make up our weird and wonderful home.

I know I haven't been tagged before, but I have been constantly seeing this tag of "7 things about me" - which, I personally think, will make this whole thing easier on both of us.

1. I have an irrational fear of stitches. Every time I have had them, I actually have anxiety attacks with the fear that they will burst open.

2. I adore the cure. Anything and everything. I have no idea what planet Robert Smith was/is on - but everything he has ever produced has resonated with me somehow.

3. My favorite food is a cold roast lamb sandwich. With margarine and lots of salt; washed down with a glass of full cream milk. Obviously it's a special meal - it probably has an entire days calories in it. But, oh *bliss*.

4. I read tarot cards. Not for anyone; but with them. I don't believe Tarot cards tell the future; anymore than I believe that pigs fly. But, they are a useful tool in providing an alternate point of view. It's nice to see a situation through a completely new set of eyes.

5. I have a severe case of map reading disorder. I'm sure people think that I am kidding when I say that 'no, seriously, do NOT follow me, because I have absolutely NO sense of direction' - but usually, they find out. When we first moved here, I got lost going to the milk bar. One street away.

6. I cannot go to bed without the pillows on the couch being just so. Don't ask me why, because I really couldn't tell you. And trust me, I've TRIED to leave the house 'as it is' - but I lay in bed and brood on it.

7. I have only developed a love of gardening over the last 3 years. I was reading Gardening Australiawww.gardeningaustralia.com.au yesterday and they were taking nominations for gardener of the year. Just seeing last years winners completely made me wonder why people even bother. Why can't they have a 'most enthusiastic gardener'???? I might have a hope!!!

So, there you have the bits and bods of me. Well, the bare essentials anyway.

Lenny has asked for my oatmeal cookie recipe, so I shall provide without delay.

OATMEAL COOKIES
3/4 cup Rolled oats
3/4 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
140g butter/margarine
2 generous tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda (see, this stuff is good for EVERYTHING!!)
1 tablespoon water

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line baking tray
2. Place oats under grill and toast until golden
3. Cool oats slightly and process in a food processor until finely ground.
4. Sift flour & baking powder into bowl with oats, sugar & coconut. Make a well in the centre.
5. Melt butter with syrup in small pan. Dissolve soda into the water and add to pan. Stir until butter has melted and mixture froths a little. Remove from heat.
6. Pour butter mixture into well of dry ingredients and mix well with wooden spoon until combined.
7. Roll heaped teaspoons (and yes, DO this, they will be HUGE otherwise!) of the mixture into balls. Place on trays leaving room to spread.
8. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Leave biscuits on tray for 5 mins, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Ciao for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe and for sharing info about yourself.

cheers Lenny