Monday, March 10, 2008

Richness vs wealth

I was reading a blog yesterday discussing what wealth is; and how it really is in the eye of the beholder.

So many people think that the latest gadget, flat screen or couch is a great indication of wealth. Because it doesn't suit anymore, or because it's too small or not working anymore; some people delight in the upgrading of their lives.

I ask - what is missing? Why do people turn towards the thinking that buying stuff will make them better?

Stuff is just that. Stuff. Meaningless rot that we cannot take with us when we leave. It's the emotions and the closeness and the love that should be treasured; instead, our society as a whole is shutting down.

I'm lucky. I smile at my neighbours on my morning walk and they smile back and say good morning. Sometimes there is a collaboration of dog walkers meeting in the park discussing their babies. Sometimes, neighbours will both happen to be out the front and have a discussion that turns into a BBQ dinner.

Our kids won't know that I don't believe. I believe our society is heading further and further away from direct communication - and I think it's the beginning of the end because of that. If people don't care about the people and things surrounding them - how is anything ever going to get done?

I could have all the money in the world. But, I'd be the least richest person in the world. Or, I could be where I am now; certainly not wealthy, but not living hand-to-mouth; but living a life that is so rich and full and meaningful that sometimes, I forget just how lucky I really am.

I am one of the richest people alive today.

Riley has his surgery on Thursday. I am very pleased about that. He has had an accident whilst I was on holiday; we are missing a shaving of bone off one of his feet bones. He's walking on it again now (thank GOD, do you HAVE any idea how hard it is to constantly carry around a 28kg child?!!!!) and we're all set for hospital on Thursday.

My holiday was just as I expected. I have a great number of photos to put up - but time has not been my friend this week. Although, thanks to the public holdiay today; I am just about ready to take on whatever is thrown at me again.

No comments: