Sunday, April 20, 2008

The ghosts of lives gone past

This weekend was a nice one. We headed off yesterday up to see G, who has been away for work. The kids were great, we had a really lovely time with G and we all cuddled up on the couch with a DVD after dinner.

Today we went to a place where I spent a massive amount of my childhood. Every weekend, from about September to June, every year for 10 years was spent here. And, I wanted to see just what the drought (and 10 years) had done to it.




The water used to come up to about 5 meters beyond that fence. Now, you can't even see it.

It is sad to see. I remembered so much about that foreshore; ghosts of friends gone by, days gone by and all sorts of things happening on that foreshore. Looking at it now, makes me want to cry.


Walking down for about a kilometre. That is all that is left of this beautiful place. So....desolate. Lonely. Forgotten.
We meandered back to where life was again and I spent an hour or so in a time warp. Just staring at the old caravans, remembering who was in there, what they meant to me; what we all did together. How it's gone forever.
Our old caravan was just awful. The people who have it now obviously don't care about the place; but then, it felt like a ghost town; so maybe they just don't bother anymore? There was no one there, but there were still caravans everywhere.
My best friends caravan was there; standing on her porch remembering so much; it just hit home just how much of life just gets wasted. On stupid things. Little things. Things that just do not matter in 10 years time.
I think that is what upsets me most about the drought. The loss.

No comments: